Fortunately for the Hawaiian Islands, the storm that began as Hurricane Lane and ended as a tropical depression, had next to no impact on communications, according the final report of the FCC yesterday that showed that only eight cell sites were out of a total of 1,297, representing only a 0.6% outage.
Cable systems and wireline outages were 3,991, down from 16,417 on Saturday.
However, Hurricane Lane drenched parts of Hawaii with 3-4 feet of rainfall. One weather station reported the third-highest “total rainfall from a tropical cyclone in the United States since 1950,” according to the National Weather Service says. The slow-moving storm caused floods and landslides as it moved west of the islands, back out over the Pacific Ocean
Other information provided by the FCC included:
Television stations status:
- 15 TV stations are reporting as operational (KAAH-TV, KAII-TV, KGMB, KHAW-TV, KHET, KHNL,
KHON-TV, KHVO, KITV, KKAI, KMAU, KMEB, KUPU, KWBN, and KWHM).
- 1 TV station is reporting as out of service (KLEI-TV).
FM Radio stations status:
- 37 FM radio stations are reporting as operational (K204GM, K244EO, K267BW, K268BE, K298BA,
K300AT, KAGB, KAOY, KAPA, KBGX, KCCN, KCIF, KESU-LP, KINW, KITH, KJKS, KJMD, KJMQ, KKBG,
KKOA, KLHI, KLUA, KMWB, KNAN, KNKR-LP, KNWB, KONI, KORL, KPHW, KPOA, KPVS, KQMY,
KRKH, KRTR, KTOH, KUKE-LP, and KWXX-FM).
- 6 FM radio station are reporting as being out of service (K233DC, KHKU, KKHI, KLEO, KLUU, and
AM Radio stations status:
- 13 AM radio stations are reporting as operational (KAOI, KCIK, KHKA, KKEA, KKNE, KMVI, KNDI,
KNUI, KPHI, KPRP, KPUA, KRYL, and KZOO).
- 1 AM radio station is reporting as being out of service (K246BR).
As of 1:50 AM HST on August 26, FCC direct monitoring of AM broadcasters indicated 26 of 26
monitored stations were on the air, including all four local primary EAS stations (KNUI/550, KSSK/590,
KPUA/670, and KHLO/850). Stations confirmed operational by county were:
Hawaii: KHLO 850, KIPA 1060, KKON 790, KPUA 670
Kauai: KUAI 720
Maui: KAOI 1110, KCIK 740, KEWE 1240, KMVI 900, KNUI 550, KUAU 1570
Honolulu: KGU 760, KHKA 1500, KHNR 690, KHRA 1460, KHVH 830, KIKI 990, KKEA 1420, KKNE
940, KLHT 1040, KNDI 1270, KREA 1540, KSSK 590, KUPA 1370, KWAI 1080, KPRP 650