Advice For A Greenhorn

Discussion in 'Safety - General Safety Issues' started by Richard Bugiyne, May 20, 2008.

1. Richard Bugiyne

Richard Bugiyne Friend of the Community

I recently began climbing and I love it. I used to see the guys on the tower and thought it would be a great job, so I've gotten a job doing it. I can't complain about the pay, and I plan to make a career in the TE industry. I was just wondering what kind of advice you could offer to a beginner.
  2. Jerome Levy

Jerome Levy Industry Observer

It is a great profession Richard and you have made a wise choice but the real challenges will come with the daily choices that have to be made.

Your going to be confronted with a lot of opportunities----some bad---some good. Try to judge them carefully. You will find a lot of your fellow workers to be very knowledgeable about the industry. Glean whatever you can from there knowledge but also seek additional help from other areas that provide information for TE help.

This site is great and is one of the best in the biz. But there are other company sites like Andrew that provide a lot of information about the products---especially antennas and line info. There are also knot tying sites and others.

If you can weed out a lot of the trash posts, some of the bulletin boards are helpful.

Some great information can be obtained by reading catalogs like Sabers, Valmont and Tessco. You would be surprised at the great amount of information that is available there.

I have been in the biz for five years and there is not a day that goes by that I dont learn something. Try to get your company to send you for Anritsu, Comscope and other training classes that are given. But they are not going to spend the money if they do not think you are going to be with them long term. Why should they?

I would guess that you are fairly young if your just starting out. Its easy to pick up a lot of bad habits. Try to stay away from the bars and jiggle joints. You will find at the end of the week you will have saved some money. I dont want to sound preachy but you should only get as high as your climbing will take you. Like any other industry drugs are a big problem.

You cant always pick your tower crew members but you can certainly pick your friends. There are many climbers that move from job to job from month to month. They are pure trash and most everybody knows them. But there are so many gullable company owners that they will hire anybody when they are in a bind.

Work safe. You will hear stories about climbers being forced to work quickly and unsafe. That is probably not true. I have never heard of anybody being fired for working to slow because they want to be safe. Most of the time it is because they dont show up for work or are hung over or cant take directions from somebody that might have less time on the job then them.

Welcome to the industry brother.
  3. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Friend of the Community

Richard, I could not agree more with the advice Jerome has given you here...every single point. And he ended on the perfect note that everyone in the industry should hold most important: SAFETY.

As tower business owners, we have made it clear to our employees that we will never put them in a situation we wouldn't put ourselves in. And a competent climber always has the last word regarding his/her own safety. On the tower, we have a duty to our coworkers to watch out for each other. At times, you may find yourself witnessing a more experienced coworker taking chances he/she shouldn't take. In my opinion, it's better to speak up in the name of safety (yours as well as your coworker's) than to remain silent.

Be a "tower sponge". Soak up as much knowledge as you can! Be patient, though. When confronted with an eager employee, yearning for more knowledge, experience, and responsibility--before he's mastered his current position--some managers can be put off. If you're working for a good company, you should never have to ask for a raise or more responsibility.

But, like Jerome said, beware of some opportunities. Many times, people in the business find themselves in positions beyond their experience. With the high turnover rate in this industry, you could find yourself in charge of a crew in a few short months. While this opportunity may sound good in the short run, you can find yourself behind the times because you've been "thrown into the fire" in the name of production--while sacrificing safety and a reasonable amount of time in which to truly learn your trade.

Stay safe and good luck!
  4. JBLloyd

JBLloyd Friend of the Community

Don't be afraid to say no. If something looks unsafe it probably is. It may not be a deal breaker but ask or find out what would make it safe and hold fast. It's hard to be in that position if you are new and I hope you never have to make a call like that until you have some experience under your belt.
    Good luck, be safe and go make a good career and some good honest money!
    openshortload likes this.