Apprentiship / Getting experience?

Discussion in 'Climbing Towers' started by Chris Lamb, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Chris Lamb

Chris Lamb Friend of the Community

I am new to the world of tower installations, but was curious if anyone had an apprentiship program. I know a lot of union jobs (not sure if tower work is union) has these programs. I am willing to pay for my own training and equipment, just wish to get some time on towers to see if I want to make a career change. Would love to tag along with some companies in the area. I am acclimated to working at heights. PLease respond if any of this is available in the SC area.
  2. Sean Schriver

Sean Schriver Friend of the Community

Hey Chris,

You're not alone. I live in WI and am seriously looking to work on Cell towers and/or broadcast antenna in my area (Racine/Kenosha/Milwaukee SE Wisc.) I have taken wind turbine repair and tower climbing classes but am looking at comm towers for better job opportunities. I really think I will enjoy this work. I have seen a posting for tower apprentice before. I want to say it was American Tower, SBA, or maybe Crown Castle. Don't remember what state the job was in. I can't seem to find any job posting for tower climber or techs in WI. I had to drive around to different cell and antenna sites I saw on the road and get tower Co. names to look up and apply to. No luck yet but it's only been a week.

If you want a job I think you're gonna have to reach out and take it. Seems like in this industry, no one is handing out anything.

Good luck and hope you find it!