Bechtel UMTS Azimuths

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by Narain Sarshar, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Narain Sarshar

Narain Sarshar Industry Observer

Does any one have the specifications for a Bechtel UMTS project regarding specifically the way you are supposed to align antennas? How many degrees can you be off before there is degradation of the signal? Thank you
  2. James Gold

James Gold Friend of the Community

Narain,
    Thought I do not have the exact specifications you are looking for, but I may be able to help you with your alignment procedures.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    issllc@mesanetworks.net
  3. Wireless Estimator

Wireless Estimator Administrator Staff Member

I don?t have their specifications, Narain; hopefully one of our viewers can send one to info@wirelessestimator.com . There is a very interesting white paper that Bechtel did earlier this year regarding the degradation of coverage from poor alignment. They did say, however, that an azimuth error in the range of 6 to 8 degrees is tolerable.

They also said that performance degradation is noticeable if the azimuth error is greater than 10 degrees. Interestingly, in the report the authors said that network performance is almost ten times more sensitive to antenna tilt variations, compared with azimuth variations. Both coverage and quality gaps increase by up to 100 percent with ±3 degrees of tilt error.

Tilt setting tolerance of ±0.5 degrees should be observed, they say, but again, this may not be reflected in an installation specification that the contractor has to follow.

The white paper on The Impacts of Antenna Azimuth and Tilt Installation Accuracy on UMTS Network Performance can be viewed at: http://www.bechtel.com/PDF/BIP/41551.pdf