Chances are a miracle is not going to save your life in an accident. But 100% fall protection will

Discussion in 'Incident and Near Miss Discussions' started by Kevin Reski, May 5, 2008.

1. Kevin Reski

Kevin Reski Frequent Poster

Along with the rest of all of you who are concerned by all of the recent falling climbers, I hope by providing a couple of my personal experiences that you and your coworkers will be more prone to climb with 100% fall protection.

I am not certain if I would want to be the ?faller? again or watch the falling again since both were so horrific. I had fallen 80' from a self-supporter I was stacking with my dad and sister using a gin pole in 1976. During the actual time of my fall, rolling upside down and over, screaming all the way to the deck, I was more afraid of where I was than of falling since I did not know where I was during the fall.

The falling was harmless compared to landing next to an ambulance on the driveway of a hospital?s ER door.

When I came to there was more screaming going on around me that I care to remember, besides seeing the terror in my family's eyes as I lay there trying to breathe. No place to be, nor fair to put someone else through.

I also was involved in watching both my younger brother and Dwight fall from 200' while on the outside of a wide self-supporter while I was standing directly under them on the ground. It was very automatic to put my arms out to hope to catch them both from hitting the ground.

It was a horrific sight for me and painful for them to crash and roll down along the outside of the tower until their lanyards and legs/arms tangled them up in the tower?s diagonals and they slid down into the corners. I tell these stories to you so that you can see it in your mind?s eye and decide if you want to be part of an accident scene like this