Consider cold joint possibility

Discussion in 'Civil Related Discussions' started by Wireless Estimator, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Wireless Estimator

Wireless Estimator Administrator Staff Member

Large mat foundations can require up to five or more concrete trucks to complete the pour. In selecting your concrete supplier, ensure that they are capable of providing back to back truckloads. Many contractors have been stopped from pouring when the previous load had set too long, requiring expensive doweling and surface preparation of the cold joint to complete the project.
  2. John Sandford

John Sandford Frequent Poster

I'm aware of one job that the inspector turned down on a T-mobile site and wouldn't let the contractor dowel it even with engineered plans that it would work. They had to take the whole thing out and start again. I don't know how long of a time it was between the last truck, but I think it was maybe 1-1/2 hours.
  3. Bob Cantwell

Bob Cantwell Industry Observer Staff Member

I don't think a cold joint is as much of a problem as foundations that are underdesigned. A lot of PMs just look to see if the drawings are sealed. They should take a closer look to see that the soil borings were referenced in the design. There are lots of foundations that only come to light as to their underdesign when a storm comes through. Oftentimes when it is found out the contractor is no longer around to make good on it.