How much do the tower companies charge?

Discussion in 'Wireless Estimator Site Discussions' started by jamesNC, May 1, 2012.

1. jamesNC

jamesNC Friend of the Community

I work for a tower company in Charlotte, NC and as we work I keep wondering how much do they charge to work on the tower? Do they go by the day or foot? We have 5 climbers and 1 ground guy. I make $120 a day and $30 a day to eat on and I am the new guy to the company, so they would have to charge more than $1,000 a day, right?
  2. Tower Mods

Tower Mods First Time Poster

As a tower company owner, I can tell you all companies are different. All charge a little different. There are so many veriables from the size of the company to the type of work you are performing. But to answer your question, in the most general way possible, tower companies have two typical pay scales, again this usally is determined by the type of work being performed.

Pay scale one is by the day. Most companies would like to get $3,000 to $3,500 per day for a four man crew. Key word is LIKE.. But with today's market and competition that scale can be as low as $1,500 to $2,500. These are very low numbers and it's very difficult for even a small company to survive on these rates.

Tower companies face a huge amount of expenses from payroll, per diem, travel expenses, to insurance and so much more. Taxes play a huge role in all companies but specifically in tower companies who employ out of state workers.

Pay scale is an hourly rate per employee. Again, companies would like to average $65.00 to $75.00 per hour but again with the above mentioned the scales can be as low as $35.00 to 45.00

Types of work like concrete foundations or anchors would typically charge per yard. Like $400 per yard and that number would include concrete cost, labor and other assosiated materials. Lots of people think its easy to jump into a tower business and 90% of them fail almost imediately due to the lack of experience in business and lack of capital.

The work has to be there and if it's not the majority of the expenses keep coming every month. Hope this helps.

Tower Mods Inc.
  3. jamesNC

jamesNC Friend of the Community

Thanks, I workd for two companies, one we worked 60 days on and 10 days off.The other was 5 days a week and home weekends, but have not been working much so I'm looking for another company. I knew they would have to charge alot and just don't see how some are still working, and I don't think that's alot of money per day they get paid. I really thought it was alot more then that, but thanks very much.