Is PIM testing frequency specific?

Discussion in 'The PIM Corner' started by Megatechnerd, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Megatechnerd

Megatechnerd Friend of the Community

If I'm not mistaken, pim testing is measuring interference generated by propagating signal over points of non-linearity. Also you can get pim from other carriers and external sources. My question is aside from testing antennas, pim testing a transmission line will find the same problems no matter what frequency band you sweep for (700,850,1900 etc,etc...) or am I missing something?
  2. dking

dking Industry Observer

It is frequency specific. When we looked into doing it, we were told to expect to have a 700, 850, and 1900 unit @ 30k a pop. It wasn't worth it.

Each frequency has a different wave length which would mean, something that is not a problem on 1 band, may cause a problem on another.
  3. Megatechnerd

Megatechnerd Friend of the Community

Since you have 3 machines, I was wondering if you ever tested a system and found a fault on one band but couldn't find a fault on another? For instance, if a system component failed on 700 but passed on 1900 or vice versa.

I understand its possible, but I want to know if it ever happened.
  4. PimTesting.com

PimTesting.com Industry Observer

It is possible and does happen. We have seen connectors and components pass in one band and fail in the other.