Is trolleying a guy wire legal?

Discussion in 'Incident and Near Miss Discussions' started by David Lehrer, Jul 17, 2008.

1. David Lehrer

David Lehrer Industry Observer

I realize that not too much information will be coming from OSHA or others regarding the Kansas accident where two climbers were killed, but the article says that they were trolleying the guy wire. Is this legal? If so, how many people can you lift at one time and what are the requirements according to OSHA? Three climbers were killed last year riding the line and I think that a lot of people are unaware of the rules.
  2. ThatTowerGuy

ThatTowerGuy First Time Poster

I mean we are tower "CLIMBERS". Too many shortcuts are being taken. Too many safety rules being ignored, but really when it comes down to it it's up to the individual to be safe. I don't think it would be legal to trolley the guy wires it seems like it should be common sense but common sense isn't so common anymore now is it? lol wish I could be more help.
  3. Jeremy C

Jeremy C Friend of the Community

Using a guy wire as a trolly in a man-riding application is and can be conducted legally. I know this post is 5 years old but thought it may deserve an answer. The procedures to follow in order to complete this activity need to follow OSHAs newest crane standard and man lifting requirements but otherwise can be "legal"