Leveling a self supporter

Discussion in 'Tower, Rooftop and Antenna Installation' started by Sethro, May 25, 2008.

1. Sethro

Sethro Friend of the Community

My problem: A 250' self supporting H-type tower (ATT). 2 of the legs have sunk 12". Leg bolts have only 3" of thread left. Engineer thinks there is 15 tons of weight on each leg. If anyone has any suggestions could you please lend a hand.
  2. David Lehrer

David Lehrer Industry Observer

Seth,
    I'm not quite clear as to what you're requesting. If the two legs have sunk a foot below ground level the structure must lean quite a bit and could possibly go even lower if their is a void in the ground.
    It appears that you might need to pay for an engineer to design a retrofit for the tower's foundations.
    A cap could be poured on the pad and pier (drilled pier?) of the two legs, extending the bolts so that the two legs can then be raised. 15 tons on each leg doesn't provide much information, not knowing the loading, wind speed, soil conditions, etc.
    Or if you just want to level it out you can have a steel fabricator design a cap that accommodates the old anchor bolts and new bolts. You would then need to get a crane to lift the structure in order to install the extended anchor bolt system.
    Dave
  3. Dave Swainger

Dave Swainger Industry Observer

That's an old tower Seth. It could be that soils around the structure have deteriorated. You might consider getting a foundation engineer to design a new structure. 15 tons on each leg doesn't really address the questions since you really want to know what the wind loading on the tower is and the design code that it should be upgraded to. It's not the weight of the antennas on the structure, it's the wind loading that must be considered so that the engineer can decide what type of foundation is required based upon the existing soil.
  4. Blake Bowers

Blake Bowers Industry Observer

Do we have any update on this tower? Seth, can you contact me at bbowers@mozarks.com? I am very interested on what you are finding.