Licensing helped nothing in Canada

Discussion in 'Climbing Towers' started by Douglas King, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Douglas King

Douglas King Guest

I own/operate a full-service radio company which performs work on both sides of the border. I personally have been a climber for 11 yrs. I have climbed 1000's of structures ranging from 30 ft to several hundred ft. in extreme weather conditions of many kinds.

In Canada licensing is mandatory. It is a joke. The courses do not prepare workers for an industry as demanding both physically and mentally as ours. Many owners assume a worker is ready if they have the course. Nothing could be further from the truth. Licensing does not work the way many voters on this site would intend.

I have personally trained 32 people in my time here, and I am proud to say that 29 of them actually climbed professionally.

None of them have ever had an injury as a result of this profession.

All of them join me in mocking the licensing procedure, and complain in surprise at how insufficient the licensing training is. Every one of them. Even those who never climbed professionally.

I take great pride in our safety, and reinforce in my workers that if they are not 100% comfortable, then get down. There are no second chances to get it right.

If they cant climb right away, then they are on the ground, and I send them with guys I have confidence in. Eventually they will get another chance at the discretion of the climber they are paired with, meanwhile they will have the utmost respect for the climber they are responsible to assist.

It may seem militant, but I find it works. Tower climbing is a state of mind which is not to be mocked or taken lightly. FEAR=SAFETY. Our organization has a zero tolerance drug policy.

We are collectively proud to have the reputation we have worked diligently to create. We deserve this glory. We are an elite breed combining professional athletics and industrial physics.

I believe everyone in this industry should accept the same responsibility and enjoy the same level of pride.

Licensing will cost money and change nothing.
  2. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Frequent Poster

Douglas,

It's interesting to hear from our northern neighbor. Can you fill us in with a little bit more information of what Canada does in the licensing process?

Is it a territory sponsored class or is it performed by a private company (such as Gravitec in the U.S)? How long is it? How much is the fee? Also, even though it might not be as good as personalized training, such as which you provide, do you think it has at least helped to save lives or cut back on injuries?

And while we're talking about lives, how many climbers die in Canada a year and about how many climbers work in your country?

Thanks for the input!

Paul