OSHA Training Materials Needed

Discussion in 'Safety - General Safety Issues' started by Rob F., Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rob F.

Rob F. Friend of the Community

Howdy all,

I've been following this site for some time now, but this will be my first time posting. I will try to be more involved as time allows because this site really is an invaluable resource to our industry.

Here's my situation: I'm giving a climbing safety and rescue class to all my coworkers, and I'm having trouble when it comes to the OSHA regulations. It would be easy for me to stand in front of the class and read the Codes of Federal Regulation, but surely the class will be in a deep sleep by the time I'm halfway through. Has anyone compiled the applicable regs into a concise and easy-to-digest format?

Since I'm in the public sector, I don't see a problem with my sharing other course materials here if anyone is interested.

Thanks!
  2. MUTI OPS

MUTI OPS First Time Poster

One of the important items to remember is that sometimes the OSHA standards do not directly apply to our industry. This is not to say that we are not to follow the OSHA rules but that it is important for us to recognize that we have a unique industry. OSHA training institute did create a 500 course that was specifically tailored for telecommunication but this course has not been held in some time. One of the important things is to determine if you are teaching are 10 hour or a 30 hour is to to cover the required areas and then in the remaining time focus on the special areas of concern that the industry has. In addition you may want to spend some time reviewing some of the other items that are relevant to name a few TIA 1019A, TIA 222, OET 56, FAA 7460 just to name a few. Help them understand the SOW and the HOW and you will send them safely home each day.
  3. Rob F.

Rob F. Friend of the Community

Thank you! We have the application of the regulations (e.g. 100% tie-off) incorporated into the training, but management would like the training to include the regulations themselves, and I'm just trying to avoid handing the students a codebook and saying "have fun reading" if at all possible.