PIM testing equipment

Discussion in 'The PIM Corner' started by Paul Russell, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Paul Russell

Paul Russell Frequent Poster

Has anybody had to buy PIM testing equipment? If so, do you find that the carrier or contractor is feeding you more work? How much is it?
    Thank you.
  2. PimTesting.com

PimTesting.com Industry Observer

We have purchased a number of PIM testing units. The prices vary across manufacturers, but you can expect to pay $18k to $25k a unit depending on manufacturer and quantity purchased. Depending on your customer and the systems you are testing you could need up to three separate units (700 Mhz, 850 Mhz, 1900 Mhz).
  3. DAS_PM

DAS_PM Friend of the Community

Hello my name is Steve................... are you saying that a test unit does not exist with the ability to set freqs for the test to be conducted? This seems to be awfully expensive?
  4. PimTesting.com

PimTesting.com Industry Observer

There is no portable PIM test set currently on the market that will cover all three frequency bands. If you are testing a diplexed site, say 850 & 1900 MHz, you need 2 different PIM test sets. You can test 700 MHz LTE with an 850 test set as long as the antennas are wide band. But, if that same site is deploying 700 MHz LTE with narrowband antennas, you need a third test set (700 unit).
  5. DAS_PM

DAS_PM Friend of the Community

WOW !!!!
    I currently work in DAS and I wonder what a standardized plan to PIM test a DAS solution might be? With hundreds of passive components and coax I am not sure how it will work itself out.
  6. 1towerman

1towerman Friend of the Community

Which brand do you guys recommend as far as cost vs. performance? I have used the Summitek and the Rosenberger units and definitely prefer the Summitek. Anyone have any experience with the Anritsu?