Riding the line anytime comments

Discussion in 'Breaking and Other News Comments' started by Wireless Estimator, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Wireless Estimator

Wireless Estimator Administrator Staff Member

In OSHA’s press release they noted that part of the impetus for approving and issuing the new riding the line directive was due to the fact that in 2013 there were 14 deaths, and so far this year the industry has had nine fatalities.

Wireless Estimator’s database identifies eight fatalities in 2014 because it does not include the death of a 28-year-old Nutter Fort, W.V. firefighter who was killed in February when a tower collapsed upon him when he was rushing from his vehicle to assist two injured workers who later died. His death is one of the federal agency’s nine fatalities, according to an OSHA official.

His inclusion would skew yearly comparisons since he was not an industry worker. At times, emergency services personnel are killed on their way to or at an accident or fire location. The Bureau of Labor Statistics does not include those statistics when managing data of SIC codes; neither does Wireless Estimator in order to maintain an accurate accounting of the health of the industry.
  2. Kevin Reski

Kevin Reski Frequent Poster

This "riding the line" directive is good news for tower companies that use personnel rated tower erection hoists to raise & lower employees on tower.
    Thank you past & present OSHA people & the NATE membership & NATE office people that have all been part of all of the work what was necessary to get this squared away!
  3. Marc LeClair

Marc LeClair Frequent Poster

This was a good thing to have OSHA change in the 90's because cell towers were oftentimes 300' and greater with omnis. I'm not sure what the average height is today but most of them will not be difficult for someone in shape to climb. Back then you had a lot of broadcast work and digital was on the horizon. I think the big push for this came from the guys who did a lot of tall tower work. They're the ones that really needed this and gained from it.
  4. Climber 1997

Climber 1997 Industry Observer

A big WHOOP! WHOOP! for NATE! Riding the line is safe if it's done properly. Without turning this into a macho contest, what would be the average time it would take a climber to climb 100' on an unobstructed leg of a self supporter?
  5. Kevin Reski

Kevin Reski Frequent Poster

Salutations Climber 1997, For my/our work & bidding purposes, I use the measurement of up to one hour for me to climb & carry the 1/2" rope per thousand feet, which time will vary with the velocity of the wind pulling on the rope & me. After 1000' we clove hitch in another climber at the tower base to carry the second thousand of rope weight until I arrive at the top platform area. Then fly the bitter end of the rope to the ground & have the ground crew hoist up the steel winch line from the tower hoist. In 2 or 3 hours we can be riding back on the ground to pin on the headache ball.
  6. Superman

Superman First Time Poster

I just hope that everybody understands that riding a rope on a capstan hoist is not considered a safe practice and that only the the winch cable is the proper way to due that with all the other safety guidelines in affect. I'm not sure that most of the contractors in the cellular industry is set up for all that. And, I still believe that the safest way to go is to climb and use our safety gear as intended. If we hook off 100% at all times we will not fall off.