Something has to be done to ensure the safety of these hard working men. . .

Discussion in 'Safety - General Safety Issues' started by Brian Melton, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Brian Melton

Brian Melton Friend of the Community

Re:
    6/25/06
    Bonifay, FL
    Evansville, IN
    Unknown
    Guyed
    Fell while riding a line.

This young man is my nephew and I would like to know who is held responsible for deaths such as these? I personally feel that these workers should have some form of safety below them; i.e. Airbags that are inflated 'before' any work begins and placed around the bottom of the tower. This has gone on for too many years and too many hard working men have lost their lives to this hazardous line of work. I feel strongly that a safety device of some kind should be implemented and made mandatory for all of these companies erecting these towers and written into law. I also feel the same law be written that would force the employer to insure all his workers. Too many grief stricken families are left without their daddy/husband/son/ and no money to pay for final expenses or money to live on. I feel these 'employers' should be held responsible for these untimely deaths. How they can sleep nights is beyond me. In my nephew's case, this was the THIRD death under this employer.
  2. Tracy Dowling

Tracy Dowling Friend of the Community

Sorry to hear that it was your nephew. OSHA originally started out fining people because they didn't have nets under the workers. The companies and national worker groups identified that it was actually more dangerous to provide that type of safety setup and lobbied OSHA to change it but to require other safety procedures such as 100 per cent tie off. It is sort of like window washers having to have a safety net or airbags underneath them. Forgetting the economics and practicality, it's just not possible. You couldn't cover equipment and buildings with airbags. The news story said that he was riding the line when it broke but there are no other details to see if it was operator error, equipment error or employee error. Hopefully once the OSHA report is completed there will be more information available so that other climbers will not be exposed to the same problem. Again, my condolences to you and his family.
  3. Mike Rowlands

Mike Rowlands Friend of the Community

I am very sorry for your loss, as I am for each unnecessary loss of life in this business every year.
    Almost without exception when I read about these incidents, the cause is immediately apparent to me. Somebody is breaking the law. The law is very clear on remaining attached to the tower. There are a large number of fall arrest systems available.
    There are strict guidelines regarding personnel hoisting in the industry. OSHA CPL 2-1.36 lays it out.
    Unfortunately, the industry is full of owners and riggers who see it as time wasted, money wasted, or unmanly to properly set up a site. What it will always boil down to in my opinion is that the only way to live through the day is to be always willing to say, "No. I'm not doing that. Fire me if you want, but no."
    The idea of air bags to land on is not a viable solution. A person would have to jump toward one, and those who fall don't have time to plan.