Test stability of anchorage points

Discussion in 'Safety - General Safety Issues' started by Roger Hawkins, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Roger Hawkins

Roger Hawkins Friend of the Community

Well for one thing, safety is our number one concern here at Hydaker, and I would like to know that if a foot peg is not man rated and there is no way to access a crane what should companies do? Mostly because any safety guy/Bechtel says that it is good enough to position yourself on to them so what other way is there? And working for Bechtel, there is NO DESCENDING.
  2. Wireless Estimator

Wireless Estimator Administrator Staff Member

OSHA requires that the lanyard from your full body harness must be attached to anchorage or a structural member capable of supporting a minimum dead weight of 5,400 pounds. Unfortunately, since tower and other supporting structure manufacturers will not provide you with this information, individual assessments have to be made. Before connecting to any bracing, ensure that the connecting and stitch bolts are securely fastened, and do not tie off to a new appurtenance that has not been fully secured and tested for integrity. Multiple deaths have been attributed to overlooking these requirements. Erectors who tied off to corroded members, especially diagonally welded bracing on small-faced structures have reported many harrowing near miss incidents.
  3. casimir weston

casimir weston Friend of the Community

All workers on towers should use double lanyards on full body harnesses, secured to tower legs only,(not hor,diag. vert members). This is especially true on older towers. Positioning belts should have two lanyards, plus two hooks attached with proper caribiners or shackles, all gear should be in top condition. All workers have favorite gear, but unfortunately, it has seen better days.
  4. Chas  Wagner

Chas Wagner Industry Observer

Casimir,
    I too like the leg for a sound connection point. However, I've been on many a tower where the center of the face is 20' + from the leg. I think that exceeds the lanyard length rule by a few inches. The bottom line is, use the right equipment for your scope of work. A climber?s belt is and personal rigging [or PPE] is only the most basic of equipment we should be sending to the jobs. There are numerous products available to promote safe working conditions in most situations and allow the worker to tie to adequate support within reach of the work. What we all need to realize is that proper equipment is not an expense, it?s an investment that pays us back every time we walk in the door at the end of the day.