TIA/1019 will bring sweeping construction changes

Discussion in 'ANSI/TIA 1019 - Tower Installation Standards' started by Wireless Estimator, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Wireless Estimator

Wireless Estimator Administrator Staff Member

This standard for installation, alteration and maintenance of antenna supporting structures and antennas will be the basis to allow construction workers and engineers to provide safe construction procedures without being overly conservative due to the lack of readily available, or properly understood guidelines.

You'll find excellent information in this forum to help guide you in using it to prevent construction accidents and structure collapses.

It should lessen the liabilities of all parties participating in its proper use.

The new TIA-1019 standard is over 100 pages of information and documentation you'll need to know to be compliant, but as seen when the new Revision G standard was introduced, there will be many questions regarding the standard's sweeping changes.

It's been a work in progress for many years and is a major revision of the 2004 standard which primarily focused upon greater awareness of safety during gin pole use.

TIA-1019 is authored by the nation’s leading engineers and tower erection professionals. Although those members can discuss the standard, they are not permitted to speak for the ANSI TR-14.7 sub-committee.

The 2004 standard, spearheaded by the National Association of Tower Erectors, was developed over a five year period with research of clinical and theoretical models of gin pole type structures, along with small scale and large scale gin pole load testing.
  2. Glen Tenier

Glen Tenier Industry Observer

Need to know about this.:mad:
    Is this out now? Or when is it coming? Anybody have any idea of how it will change the way we do thing?
  3. SafetyLMS Training

SafetyLMS Training First Time Poster

The approval vote and the comment period is complete. It should be a TIA document by the end of September and then another four months for ANSI approval.
  4. JackBoone

JackBoone Friend of the Community

As for how this standard will change the way we do things, if used properly it will make everyone safer. It will give you a powerful tool to help determine what is safe practice and what is not safe. I can only think of one tower collapse during construction in the past decade that would not have been avoided if this standard had been in place and being followed. I was involved with this standard and I approve this message ;)
  5. Ginpole ll

Ginpole ll Industry Observer

I agree Jack. I'm glad your knowledgeable about it. I'm hoping that they put in some type of requirements for requiring manufacturers to put in some marked attachment points that are rated for 5000# and to require ladders to meet those requirements since many time we're tied off to the ladder. I believe this was discussed years ago and I'm hoping that it was a priority in this new standard. Did they?:confused:
  6. JackBoone

Ginpole II, since the construction standard was aimed at tower workers and their safety we did not address any requirements to the manufacturers. That would be a requirement in the TIA222 standard. TIA 1019 requires tower workers to know and understand what they are hooking off to and be knowledgeable enough to understand what constitutes a safe connections point.
  7. towerman

towerman Friend of the Community

It may be covered in 222 Jack but how many companies even have that standard? Probably not to many. It would be great if a tower mfg. would step up to the plate and weld some attachment points on the tower that met 5000 pounds. Even powdercoat or paint them in red or yellow so that they would stand out.

This wouldn't have to be all over the tower but what it might do is make people who are tying off think about whether or not the next tie off point they use where there isn't an attachment if it is a safe location.

It might cost $100 per new tower. Is this too much for a person's life?
  8. JackBoone

Sorry to take so long to answer. I have been extremely busy of late and I intended to stay more up to date here, but the best laid plans, etc.
    Every tower manufacturer will have a copy of that standard. 222 is the "Structural Standard for Antenna Supporting Structures and Antennas" and has been since 1959.

Every erection drawing I have ever seen states the revision of 222 it was designed to meet. Every version of 222 that I have worked with has a complete section on climbing and working facilities.

In revision C released in 1976 the section on climbing facilities was approximately one page and dealt mostly with ladders, step pegs, hand rails and platforms. The F standard released in 1996 was no better; in fact it was almost identical.

However, with the release of TIA-222-G in 2006 the section on climbing facilities (Section 12) was expanded to 4 pages plus annex I which is two pages of examples of suitable attachment point not on the ladder or safety climb.

The Scope of this section states: This section provides minimum requirements for the design and construction of fixed ladders, safety devices, climber attachment anchorages, platforms and cages used for climbing or working on communications structures.

The standard goes on to require any structure built to this revision be fully equipped with appropriate and adequate climber safety devices and attachment points.

To sum it up, we addressed your concerns several years ago and any structure built to rev. G will have adequate attachment points.
  9. Narain Sarshar

Narain Sarshar Industry Observer

Yes the standard is a big change, but I believe it only discussed climbing ladders thoroughly. I think towerman was talking about something else since once you're off the ladder you're looking to tie off onto something that will support you.

There are details about G's "recommended" attachment points. Here's the link. Would I be accurate in saying that you may not always find this type of attachment point where you're working? Don't some towers have bracing at levels that would prevent you from working on something where your lanyard would not allow you to reach it?

If there were additional anchorage points midway this would solve the problem. Why can't that be done? The engineer could easily do his analysis based upon using the known attachment points he has and weld them in place.