What are the requirements to be a member of this committee?

Discussion in 'Design, Development and Standards Discussions' started by Narain Sarshar, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Narain Sarshar

Narain Sarshar Industry Observer

This information you have provided on the standard is excellent and of great quantity. Thank you for letting me know about it. I would like to thank the committee members for their excellent work in this revision. It is noticeable that only one tower owner is a member. American Tower. Would it not be better if more tower owners would be members so that their concerns and knowledge would be represented? What requirements are there to become a member?
  2. Craig Snyder

Craig Snyder Friend of the Community

The committee is already very large and so I don?t necessarily ?encourage? new members but technically anyone is allowed to join who has an interest. You must attend at least two meetings to be eligible to vote on the committee. This means you could vote at your second meeting you attend.

Below is a short description of how to join TR14.7 given by TIA. I should note that the committee is looking for contributors not just people who are interested in learning about the standard. One thing that creates challenges and slows the process are questions about issues that have already been resolved previously.

It should also be noted that the committee will not likely be meeting often for the next year since 222-G is barely out and we need to give everyone time to digest it before getting back together again.

Craig Snyder
    TR14.7
    Chairman

Attention prospective TR14.7 member,

To apply for membership of the TR14.7 subcommittee which writes the TIA/EIA 222 standard, please go to this link http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/sfg/join.cfm and click on application.
    The fee is $500 per calendar year.

If you have any additional questions about TR14.7, please let me know.

Regards,

Ronda Coulter
    Standards Database & Committee Assistant
    TIA
    2500 Wilson Blvd #300
    Arlington VA 22201
    703 907-7974
    rcoulter@tiaonline.org
  3. Simon Weisman

Simon Weisman Industry Observer

The presence of tower owners on the committee is a very good thing, but there is a limit to what can be achieved there, because the committee has to work within its mandate set by the TIA.

I think that the tower owners would be very well served by participating on the ASCE Telecommunications Facilities Committee, which is planning to create a forum for research into areas of structural behavior, wind loading, and dynamic behavior that are important and very specialized to towers.

Some owners and fabricators are doing this sort of thing on their own, but the results will not be the same. For one thing, research results that are not shared are of no value, because they are not really proven and should not be accepted. Also, they may be grossly biased in favor of one or another interest.

The ASCE and its committees have experience in evaluating research proposals from universities and assessing the merits of the reports generated. The ASCE is the proper forum for airing the research findings and getting peer reviews, which are of great value in determining validity of research findings and conclusions.

By working through the ASCE, tower owners will have at their disposal the knowledge and wisdom of the whole association, which knowledge is quite considerable. All significant university researchers who work in structures are members of the ASCE, because it provides an outlet for their publications and fora for discussions which are essential to research.

Readers who are interested in participating should contact:

Simon Weisman, M.A.Sc., P.Eng., MASCE, FCSCE,
    Weisman Consultants Inc,
    Tel: 416 736 7453 Fax: 416 736 4372
    e-mail: simon@weisman-consultants.com