Why does new gin pole standard require AISC certification?

Discussion in 'ANSI/TIA 1019 - Tower Installation Standards' started by rclaxton, Jun 19, 2012.

1. rclaxton

rclaxton Friend of the Community

TEC says in its story that it is going out of business because it can't get AISC certification for its gin poles required by the new 1019 standard.

I'd say that they could, but it wouldn't be economical. They make about 10 a year so I don't think they would be able to pass on the additional cost.

The real story is were gin poles failing because they weren't AISC certified? It's doubtful. I believe the standard was originally designed for their proper operation because a lot of erectors were using them incorrectly.

I could see them stating that all welders must be AWS certified and a structural engineer would have to provide the design, but that's it.

From a safety perspective, can anyone answer why a gin pole using a wire rope less than 5/16" doesn't have to be AISC certified, but 5/16" and above has to?
  2. JackBoone

JackBoone Friend of the Community

You are correct on several of your points. The original 1019 standard did not require AISC certification it required the fabrication to be in accordance with AISC and to meet the requireements of AWS welding. When the standard was modified into its current form the certification requirement was added in committee and voted on by the entire TRS14.7 subcommittee. I did not support the addition of this requirement but I could not provide sufficent justification to get it removed.

As for whether or how many gin poles may have failed due to not being fabricated by AISC certified suppliers that is a very difficult question to answer.

If we are specifically talking about Mark Pauling's poles I would be very doubtful that it would apply on the other hand there have been a lot of gin poles built over the years that certainly may and probably did fail because of poor fabrication procedures. I will not give details due to confidentiality but I can assure you that it has happened.

That being said, the majority of gin pole related accidents I have had the unfortunate duty of investgating were indeed primarily caused by misuse and operator errors.

As for your last question, the reason that Class A gin poles do not have to be fabricated by an AISC certified supplier is because of the impact factor. I won't go into a highly technical explaination but in this case it is a factor that is used to adjust the safety factor of certain forces being induced in the pole and back into the tower.

I do hope this has clarified some of your quesitons. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to post here. I try to monitor this site as my workload allows.

Jack Boone
    Broadcast Tower Technologies, Inc.