Windmills kill birds, towers provide nests

Discussion in 'Design, Development and Standards Discussions' started by Jason Fortier, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jason Fortier

Jason Fortier Industry Observer

Excellent point on towers actually having a beneficial impact upon birds. I wonder when the FCC is going to make their decision? It's been over eight months since they closed comments on the subject. One would think that they could issue their findings by now. But government is proud of handling important issues with glacial speed. Of course, they could always put the tower lighting concerns out for further review and have it lanquish for another half-dozen years.
  2. John Sandford

John Sandford Frequent Poster

I guess we still don't know, but it looks like we're a little closer to getting an answer because of the recent court action that has told the FCC to start moving their butt.

Unfortunately, the court's ruling might slow down the tower siting process because of additional endangered species act involvement regarding the birds.

Although it's my understanding that this is just for the Gulf Coast, we can rest assured that now that the avian/conservation groups have won a victory there, they're going to campaign to have national restrictions on tower siting because of the issue they perceive is a national (without any credible documentation) problem.

I know it's too early for a statement from the PCIA and CTIA, but it will be interesting to see what their next course of action is on this serious matter that has gone from just being a lighting issue to an environmental issue as well.
  3. Gary Matheson

Gary Matheson Friend of the Community

I submit more birds are killed by all the huge power generating windmills going up, especially in California. I was stationed on Guam in the Navy and the introduction of a non-native snake has killed almost every bird on Guam. AND I MEAN ALMOST EVERY ONE. The snakes climb trees and eat the eggs. I have never seen a snake climb a monopole but I have seen hundreds of bird nests at the top of monopoles. I believe towers are helping bird populations way more than they are hurting them.