Petzl is providing the industry with an inspection notice regarding their Petzl low-stretch kernmantle ropes.
Although only one client found two critical defects, and to date, no other client has reported similar defects, and no accident or injury is known, Petzl is erring on the side of caution and asking companies and workers to inspect certain ropes.
The full inspection notice is available here.
Petzl said their in-depth investigation and risk analysis have led them to the following conclusions:
- the two defects occurred on one of our rope-cutting machines
- the two defects have common root causes
- the risk of the two defects occurring is near zero (only a complex sequence of multiple, independent factors could lead to the occurrence of the defects)
- this risk did not exist prior to March 2018
- only the ropes cut on this machine are at risk of these defects